[cups] Forward jobs to another print server without browsing

Helge Blischke helgeblischke at web.de
Thu Nov 12 06:59:11 PST 2015

One possibility to do this sort of "incremental moving“ of queues could be:
(1)	to write a script (shell, Perl, Python, or whatever) which gets started on demand
	by inetd or xinetd (whatever is installed on your "old“ print server) tied to port
	e.g. 9100.
	This script prints the jobs it gets as raw jobs to the new print server.

(2)	 to write a script around the socket backend (or a replacement for the socket backend)
	which prepends a sort of comment record to the job data containing
	at least the queue name so that the daemon (1) knows where to forward the print job to.

(3)	change the device uri of the printer to move from the original to
	foobar://127.0.0.1 <foobar://127.0.0.1>

As the requirements may vary from printer to printer (e.g. if a printer requires a execution
of a special filter specified in the printer’s PPD which needs to talk *with* the printer
instead of only *to* the printer) it may be necessary to provide printer specific routines
for one or both f the mentioned scripts.

Hope this helps you to get forward.