[cups] Is client.conf really deprecated on all platforms?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Oct 30 09:45:04 PDT 2015

Hello Michael,

On Oct 30 11:49 Michael Sweet wrote (excerpt):
> You'll always be able to use the CUPS_SERVER environment variable
> to specify an alternate "default" server, however the CUPS design
> has always been to have a local cupsd that handles communications
> with the remote server or printer, doing filtering as needed.
> Direct submission to remote servers is problematic.

Could you provide some reasons why direct submission
to remote CUPS servers is problematic.

Currently I do not understand why having a local cupsd
in between is an advantage.

I would even expect the opposite that direct communication
with the final CUPS server (e.g. a company print server)
where I want my document to be processed and printed
is better than having "another level of indirection"
in between (cf. RFC 1925 item 6a ;-)

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)