[cups] Printer bridging / back-to-back printing?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Aug 12 08:48:29 PDT 2016

Hello,

On Aug 11 22:03 chris wrote (excerpt):
> I am trying to help someone out who has a legacy app.
> There is an prints raw text to a parallel port okidata printer
> and this has worked for a long time but now we would like
> to move to a laser IP printer.
>
> I was wondering if theres a way to use cups and make it
> so we can have cups listening for the job on the
> local lp0 device and when the job comes in relay or forward
> the job to the ip printer basically having cups be the
> proxy sort of.

As far as I can imagine CUPS is the wrong way for
the listening part.

The cupsd is made for listening on network sockets
as a server for incoming IPP protocol requests
and not at all for listening on whatever hardware
device nodes for whatever incoming raw data.

>From my point of view a listener as you need it
should be a totally separated program that gets
the raw input data from where you ned it and
outputs it to the local running cupsd by using
an IPP client tool i.e. the lp command that
is already provided by CUPS.

I have no idea how to get raw data out of the
local lp0 device node that another program has
sent "into" it.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)