[cups] Question about authentication

Michael Walton waltonm at queensu.ca
Thu Feb 11 10:12:14 PST 2016

Hi Mailing list,
I figured out how I have been sinning. Cups doesn't want to use any domain suffix when it looks up users, so in my
sssd.conf file
I added the line
default_domain_suffix = AD.MYORG.COM
then I can do "getent passwd username" instead of "getent passwd username at AD.MYORG.COM" and get the same result.
I didn't realise that this was possible until last night.
When I turn authorisation on for a printer, CUPS will look up the user in the background if they're
not authorised already, and the look up fails (since my server wasn't configured with a default suffix).
So when I added authorisation to the <Location /> section it didn't have to look the user up,
having already authenticated the user, so things worked in this case (even though things
were actually set up wrongly).