[cups] "Proper" networked printer setup

Daniel Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Wed Feb 17 11:05:32 PST 2016

I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong.  Probably because I'm
understanding things wrong.

Software - Ubuntu "Trusty" 14.04, Cups 1.7.2.  HP x576dw networked
printer connected via wi-fi.

My understanding is the preferred method for workgroup setup is to have
a single machine setup as the print server and have the remaining
clients connect to that server rather than the printer directly.  If I'm
missing something here please correct me.

So...I setup the server accordingly.  Using the Cups web interface I
added the printer.  Side note - using HPLIP seems to indeed provide
superior functionality for this printer than either Socket or IPP.  I
also verified the "share printers" option was selected.

Now...sometimes the clients see the printer without any intervention at
all.  Which I believe is what is supposed to happen.  But sometimes,
usually as a result of one or more systems being restarted, printing
gets disabled on various clients.  When this happens, I find that the
clients now have local raw queues instead of the networked print server
or printer.

As a stopgap, I have added the "BrowsePoll" parameter to the clients'
cups-browsed.conf and pointed it at the server.  This seems to stabilize
things.  But...this is a manual step that cannot be performed either via
the web interface or the cupsctl command - and I've gathered the
impression this shouldn't be required.

Can you tell me if there's a different approach I should be taking?  Or
am I in fact doing things correctly?  Kind of.

--
Daniel