[cups] Paper Size setting is ignored

Dominik Schrempf dominik.schrempf at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 01:34:19 PDT 2016

Hello,

I recently reported the problem below on the Arch bug tracker
(https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/49695#comment148150) and wanted to ask
if this is a bug in CUPS?

Thanks,
Dominik

CUPS papersize option does not take effect.

I have a PS file (A4) that I want to print. I use the EN_US locale
system-wide but print in A4. If I print the PS file it gets cut at the
top because it uses US Letter (that's still OK). Then, I change the
settings in the printing dialog (Page Setup -> Paper Size) to A4 but
nothing changes. The same happens, if I print to a PDF file (I use the
standard "Print to File", not `cups-pdf`). The output file is always US
Letter, irrespective of the "Paper Size" setting.

Workaround:
Put `a4` into `/etc/papersize`. This overrides the system settings and
printing works fine. However, changing the file all the time if I want
to, e.g., use A3 is not really an option.

Additional info:
* package version(s)
extra/cups 2.1.3-2 [installed]
extra/cups-filters 1.9.0-1 [installed]
extra/cups-pk-helper 0.2.6-1 [installed]
extra/libcups 2.1.3-2 [installed]
extra/libpaper 1.1.24-9 [installed]

* config and/or log files etc.
Default Arch Linux configuration files.

lpoptions:
- /etc/cups/lptopions (does not exist)
- ~/.cups/lptopions (empty file)

PPD:
- /etc/cups/ppd/Brother_HL5380DN.ppd
with settings:
*DefaultPageSize: A4
*DefaultPageRegion: A4
*DefaultImageableArea: A4
*DefaultPaperDimension: A4

Only my locale is set to
LANG=en_US.utf8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.utf8"
LC_TIME="en_US.utf8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.utf8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.utf8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.utf8"
LC_NAME="en_US.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.utf8"
LC_ALL=

Steps to reproduce:
- Try to print a PS file formatted in A4 (either to a file or with a printer).
- Change "Paper Size" setting in printing dialog.