[cups] printing from CUPS 2.0.3 with LPD to a Windows 8.1 box USB printer

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Sat Mar 5 03:21:43 PST 2016

El día Saturday, March 05, 2016 a las 09:37:27AM +0100, Helge Blischke escribió:

> Looking into the sources of HP’s HPLIP package, especially looking after what
> the hpcups filter does, reveals that this printer speaks a language „PCL3GUI“.
> This is sort of a proprietary language which has only some syntactic resemblance
> to what HP has published as PCL3 but is neither a subset nor a superset of that.
>
> I’d suggest to compile that hpcups filter from the sources (you probably need to tweak
> the build system to some extent for bypassing the libusb stuff on the FreeBSD box)
> and then configure the printer using the lad backend with the option „format=l“ in the
> device_uri.
>
> For testing, you could even generate such a printer stream on a Linux box and
> print it as raw data to the Windows box, just to be sure if the printer behaves as expected.

I installed the hplip package on FreeBSD and tried something like this
to get the stream, perhaps the wrong way to drive the filter hpcups:

[guru at c720-r292778-amd64 ~]$ PPD=hp-deskjet_2510_series.ppd export PPD
[guru at c720-r292778-amd64 ~]$ date | /usr/local/libexec/cups/filter/hpcups 1 guru title 1 "" > /tmp/hpcups.out
prnt/hpcups/HPCupsFilter.cpp 530: cupsRasterOpen failed, fd = 0

Thanks

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru at unixarea.de, ⌂ http://www.unixarea.de/  ☎ +49-176-38902045