[cups] Printing cups -> ipp -> cups -> usb with local drivers

Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov cups at mva.name
Wed Mar 30 07:15:01 PDT 2016

The issue is already discussed (although, I'd like to hear new optinions, with
another solutions) on the lists (here, and in "devel". You can find discussion
tails by searching for "IPP backend bug" subject in both lists (messages are
partially here and there).
Here is some points:
http://www.cups.org/pipermail/cups-devel/2014-October/015414.html
(notice Mike's answer ^)
http://www.cups.org/pipermail/cups-devel/2015-September/016432.html
http://www.cups.org/pipermail/cups-devel/2015-September/016436.html
http://www.cups.org/pipermail/cups-devel/2015-September/016441.html

// Unfortunatelly, it is a bit hard to just point to entire thread.

TL;DR: Use Generic/* drivers on remote CUPS'es, and not the same driver.

When you're using same foomatic driver on both sides there is filters
collision occurs.
By the way, there was no such thing while filters was in same package with
cups, and not a separate project), and there was ok to use same driver on both
sides (just like on windows).

By the way too, one of the negative points of using it in that way — it is
impossible to, say, remotelly clean print heads using generic drivers :(

P.S. As I said, I'd VERY like to hear some dev optinion about the way to avoid
Generic drivers usage.

--
wbr,
mva