[cups] Linux->(Linux, Windows) printer sharing with drivers on the server

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Thu May 19 05:13:02 PDT 2016

Johannes Meixner schreef op 19-05-2016 10:24:

> I don't know about "automated configuration"
> on Windows clients (I don't use Windows).

I don't think there can be any form of automatic configuration of file
shares on Windows without these devices (laptops) already being
configured for it in some way.

I don't think there is anything that says "obtain WINS data" and now
"this share must be configured as X: automatically". The best you can
get is probably either browsing to the "workgroup" workgroup (samba
'domain' I guess) or something else that I don't know anything about.
Most windows computers always come configured with that "domain". Pretty
much no one changes it. A random computer browsing to \\yourserverdns
would quickly open your shares though. But I have never experienced any
automatic configured system that way. I know there is stuff like "domain
controller" and all of that; I don't know about it, but that too
requires configuration on the client.

"active directory".

On a Windows computer you need to either choose being part of a "domain"
or of a "working group" (whatever it is called). Just my no-nonsense
no-knowledge! A normal Windows computer is not going to be configured
for a "domain" and will just have WORKGROUP as its "working group".

Any shares on there will be most easily accessible, but you already knew
that, right? :P (at the OP).

Regards.

However if you set up a DNS gateway, aka hotspot, you might be able to
direct your users to that stuff. But that would work via a browser :p.

You could at least inform them of it easily. "printer is here. Do this
to use it. File shares are there. Do that to use them"

Good luck with your printer setup, mister Ivan.

Regards.