[cups] printing files of type PJL encapsulated PostScript document text

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Thu Nov 10 05:01:47 PST 2016

Hello,

We have a software which produces files of this type:

$ file muster.pcl
muster.pcl: PJL encapsulated PostScript document text

The software vendor claims "it is PCL", which perhaps is only half of the
truth...

The file is gzip'ed attached but can also be seem here (if the
attachment does not go through the mailing-list):

http://www.unixarea.de/muster.pcl
http://www.unixarea.de/muster.pdf

The PDF file is a scan of the printer output page. It is anyway if the
print is done to the network printer as:

$ lpr -Pps -l muster.pcl
$ lpr -Pps    muster.pcl
$ netcat printer-ip 9100 < muster.pcl

Which let me think, it is more the fault of the printer; the device is
a KONICA MINOLTA C360SeriesPS/P and even using its PPD does not help.

How can we print this with CUPS 2.0.3 and what exactly is this type of
file?

Thanks

	matthias

--