[cups] How to make the Device-URI accessible?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Dec 18 19:51:44 PST 2017

Bing,

> On Dec 18, 2017, at 9:44 PM, fx YAN BING <yan.bing at fujixerox.co.jp> wrote:
>
> Hi, every CUPS professional,
>
> I'm new to CUPS, and I'm creating a simulator of printer server for testing our IPP client device.
> Our IPP client device can only request a printer server through URI like following, and it is not configurable.
> http://ip:631/ipp/printername <http://ip:631/ipp/printername>

That will be a problem, because such restrictions are not conforming to RFC 3510 ('ipp' URI scheme) or RFC 7472 ('ipps' URI scheme), and many implementations, including CUPS, do not follow that resource path format.  You MUST support the full range of printer URIs or your client software will simply not work.

> Highly appreciated if anyone could explain the reason and help me to solve this problem.
> How to make the printer's Device-URI usable and accessible

Do not confuse the printer URI which you use to talk to an IPP printer or print server with the device URI which you use to communicate from the CUPS server to the printer.