[cups] Why different number of print jobs reported?

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Tue Dec 26 15:01:31 PST 2017

In regard to: [cups] Why different number of print jobs reported?, Barton...:

> The number of pages for some print jobs in the CUPS web interface,
> differs than what is in the spool files.  For example, one print job in
> CUPS indicates 336 pages, but in the spool file, it indicates 489.
>
> Any idea why CUPS is not seeing all of the pages in this print job?

Your Subject asks about print jobs, but your question is about pages per
print job.

Page counting a print job is a notoriously difficult task.  It's probably
more reliable these days than it was 20 years ago, but it's still complex.
It's entirely possible that neither of the two numbers you're seeing are
correct, though unless you're dealing with adversarial users or really
poor client software, I would tend to trust the numbers in the print job
over what CUPS arrives at.

Out of curiosity, how big is the data file for the 489 page print job?
Is it larger than 2 Gig?

Also, what version of CUPS are you using, on which OS and version?

Tim
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)