[cups] Why different number of print jobs reported?

Barton Jr, Bernard (RIS-PHL) BBarton at signatureinfo.com
Wed Dec 27 08:14:15 PST 2017

See answers below.

On 12/26/17, 6:01 PM, "cups on behalf of Tim Mooney" <cups-bounces at cups.org on behalf of Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu> wrote:

    In regard to: [cups] Why different number of print jobs reported?, Barton...:

    > The number of pages for some print jobs in the CUPS web interface,
    > differs than what is in the spool files.  For example, one print job in
    > CUPS indicates 336 pages, but in the spool file, it indicates 489.
    >
    > Any idea why CUPS is not seeing all of the pages in this print job?

    Your Subject asks about print jobs, but your question is about pages per
    print job.

    Page counting a print job is a notoriously difficult task.  It's probably
    more reliable these days than it was 20 years ago, but it's still complex.
    It's entirely possible that neither of the two numbers you're seeing are
    correct, though unless you're dealing with adversarial users or really
    poor client software, I would tend to trust the numbers in the print job
    over what CUPS arrives at.

    Out of curiosity, how big is the data file for the 489 page print job?
    Is it larger than 2 Gig?

$ lpstat -o DUMMY
DUMMY-8069              cds           44619776   Tue 12 Dec 2017 10:19:18 AM EST
DUMMY-8768              cds           78616576   Wed 13 Dec 2017 07:49:31 AM EST

    Also, what version of CUPS are you using, on which OS and version?

I’m using CUPS 1.6.3 under CentOS 7 release 4.1.

    Tim
    Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)