[cups] Explanation why cups uses pdftops instead foomatic-rip (what seems to be the configured way)

Paul Neuwirth mail at paul-neuwirth.nl
Fri Jan 27 06:30:17 PST 2017

On Friday 2017-01-27 15:05, Johannes Meixner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> an addendum:
>
> In the cups-filters README see the section about
> "POSTSCRIPT PRINTING RENDERER AND RESOLUTION SELECTION"
> therein in particular the sub-section
> "Selection of the renderer: Ghostscript, Poppler, ..."
> how to specify what foomatic-rip actually uses
> to convert PDF format into PostScript.
>

> Kind Regards
> Johannes Meixner

thanks.. sometimes it is way easier as i thought... should more often
read the readme's before.. btw. I wanted to printout a package's readme,
when I got this error first time..
just the command "lpadmin -p E360d -o pdftops-renderer-default=gs" did
the trick.
Intentionally i would expect such an option in a config file (ok there
it is now in printers.conf) instead of defining the default at compile
time, which may lead to different/unexpected behaviour.

nice weekend