[cups] Colored dots along the pages

Gerhard Strangar g.s at arcor.de
Tue Mar 21 04:23:19 PDT 2017

Hello,

I'm wondering how to debug my problem without printing hundreds of
pages. When I print via CUPS, I get colored dots on the paper, about one
millimeter in diameter, 30 millimeters in vertical distance, cyan,
magenta and yellow, but no black. Otherwise, the page looks fine. It
also happens on the CUPS test page, but when I print via LPR, I do not
get such dots, so I'm sure, it's not the developer drums. Moreover, the
dots seem to be rasterized.

Testpage: http://oi66.tinypic.com/2r2nmso.jpg

I also tried replacing the model-specific PPD with the generic
PostScript PPD, but that does not change anything. The backend used is
IPP with socket on port 9100.

I'm using CUPS 2.2.2 and poppler-utils 0.50 and I remember having the
same effect in an older version of CUPS using GhostScript and I got rid
of it by switching from GhostScript to xpdf. So I thought, there was a
bug in poppler, but when I run cups/filter/pdftops on some pdf and then
view the output in GhostScript, there are no dots. And since it happens
with the test page and different applications, I'm wondering on how to
debug that. Is there some way of dumping what would otherwise be sent to
the printer?

Regards,
Gerhard