[cups] Colored dots along the pages

Gerhard Strangar g.s at arcor.de
Tue Mar 21 09:38:27 PDT 2017

Johannes Meixner wrote:

>> Is there some way of dumping what would otherwise
>> be sent to the printer?
> Basically set up a separated test queue with the same PPD
> as you currently have in your /etc/cups/ppd/queue.ppd
> but use the 'file' pseudo-backend like
> lpadmin -p testq -v file:/tmp/testq.out -P /etc/cups/ppd/queue.ppd -E
> to get the printing output in /tmp/testq.out.

Well, that way I get the PostScript file, just like if I manually run
the filter. The file is okay and I can feed it to lpd and it prints
perfectly. On the other hand, if I make a netcat listen on
localhost:9100 und print to that, I just get the PS file, too.
But I think I found something that works: I changed the backend to LPD,
feeding it directly to the lpd port on the printer and the test pages
look perfect.