[cups] Kyocera FS-C5300DN (KPDL) very very slow

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Apr 19 03:56:27 PDT 2018

Hello,

On Apr 19 12:23 Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote (excerpt):
> ... by trying to print a 67kb PDF, the resulting PS file generated
> by "gs" is 4.2MB and take about 10 seconds to be generated.

I am not at all a PDF expert but as far as I noticed
the usual reason when "gs" (Ghostscript) takse some time
to process a PDF is in that particular PDF itself.

As far as I understand it the reason is that such PDFs
besically tell Ghostscript to do tons of things
that need time (e.g. bigger stacks of full-page
transparency layers where each one requires
transparency conversions for each pixel on
the whole page or things like that - preferably
together with an unreasonable high resolution).

As far as I understand it there is basically nothing
what could be done in Ghostscript - when its gets such
input Ghostscript must do what the input tells it to do.

As far as I understand it the solution is to produce
better PDFs - i.e. the root cause is the application
or any PDF producer tool or PDF producer library
that is called by the application - that results
PDFs which require tons of processing resources.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)