[cups] get a new copy of a network printers configuration

Bob cups-a5729 at listemail.net
Sat Dec 1 14:57:58 PST 2018

** Reply to message from Bob <cups-a5729 at listemail.net> on Sat, 01 Dec 2018
14:07:11 -0800

> ** Reply to message from Helge Blischke <helgeblischke at web.de> on Sat, 01 Dec
> 2018 22:43:05 +0100
>
> > > Am 01.12.2018 um 21:46 schrieb Bob <cups-a5729 at listemail.net>:
> > >
> > > ** Reply to message from Helge Blischke <helgeblischke at web.de> on Sat, 01 Dec
> > > 2018 11:06:01 +0100

> > > Here is the PPD and cups-browsed.conf
> >
> > Well,the PPD you sent begins with:
> >
> > *PPD-Adobe: "4.3"
> > *%%%% PPD file for HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP m176n with CUPS.
> > *%%%% Created by the CUPS PPD Compiler CUPS v2.2.8.
> > *% (c) 2008 Copyright HP Development Company, LP
> >
> > You see, it obviously is for the MFP M176n, which has ā€“ according to the HP specification ā€“ has no duplexer,
> > which is correctly described in the PPD.
> >
> > The MFP M277dw, which you noted in your first post, is a PostScript printer with duplexer.
> >
> > SO what printer are we really talking about?
>
> We are talking about my HP Color LaseJet MFP M277dw.  This printer had been
> working for 2 years on my system until a power outage last Monday.  After the
> power outage I could no longer select two-sided printing.  How CUPS sets up the
> printers is beyond me, it has just worked.

I got out my old laptop, the one being replaced by the ASUS laptop.  That
laptop is now stuck at Ubuntu 18.04 because it appears Ubuntu is not going to
update old 32 bit computers past 18.04.  In the old laptop there is only one
print queue and that is HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M277dw_BC46DE_ which is different
than what is being generated on the ASUS laptop with Ubuntu 18.10.   The PPD in
that computer is a different PPD than what is on the new laptop. So I think it
is time to power off the printer then delete the printers in the new laptop and
power it off.  Boot the laptop and then turn on the printer and see if things
work better.

--
Robert Blair