[cups] Epson WF-6090: Varying line thickness on prints with horizontal lines

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Mon Jun 18 05:06:06 PDT 2018

Hello,

On Jun 18 06:24 David Rea wrote (excerpt):
> Running an Epson WF-6090 inkjet set up on my
> Ubuntu 16.04 workstation running CUPS 2.1.3
> and a PPD file downloaded via Epson's website:
> epson-inkjet-printer-escpr 1.6.20-1lsb3.2.

you cannot use only a PPD file alone if you do not
have a real PostScript printer.

You must use the PPD file together with its exactly
matching driver software. I guess you do that already
because otherwise it would usually not work at all.

> Printing either file from Adobe Reader on Windows 7,
> using Epson-supplied drivers,
> results in uniform visible thickness

Actually you also use under Ubuntu an Epson-supplied driver
because the "epson-inkjet-printer-escpr" driver is made
by Epson.

Perhaps the root cause is inside Epson's driver software
so that you may best ask directly at Epson about possible
issues with their driver.

With probability one (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almost_surely)
the root cause is not in CUPS.

The root cause might be not in the Epson driver software
but in another component of the print job processing tools
(the so called "filters") like the separated "cups-filters"
software or Ghostscript or something else (e.g. poppler).

To indicate whether an issue depends on the printer driver
software or if it looks more like a general issue
  "It always helps to simulate printout on a virtual generic
   PostScript printer",
see that section in
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:How_to_Report_a_Printing_Issue

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)