[cups] get a new copy of a network printers configuration

Brian Potkin claremont102 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 16:14:49 PST 2018

On Fri 30 Nov 2018 at 15:41:13 -0800, Bob wrote:

> ** Reply to message from Brian Potkin <claremont102 at gmail.com> on Fri, 30 Nov
> 2018 23:14:21 +0000

[...]

> > I am more than a little confused. :)
> >
> > Would you post the outputs of
> >
> > 1. lpstat -e
> > 2. dpkg -l cups
> > 3. dpkg -l cups-browsed
>
> robert at MARS:~$ lpstat -e
> HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M277dw
> HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M277dw_BC46DE_
> HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M277dw_fax

This is what CUPS itself sees as being available printers. I understand
the first and third lines. The second line I am less sure of but it is
not the cause of your issue. Did you at one time connect the printer by
USB?

> robert at MARS:~$ dpkg -l cups
> | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
> |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name                   Version          Architecture     Description
> +++-======================-================-================-=================================================
> ii  cups                   2.2.8-5ubuntu1   amd64            Common UNIX
> Printing System(tm) - PPD/driver supp
>
> robert at MARS:~$ dpkg -l cups-browsed
> | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
> |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name                   Version          Architecture     Description
> +++-======================-================-================-=================================================
> ii  cups-browsed           1.21.3-1         amd64            OpenPrinting CUPS
> Filters - cups-browsed
> robert at MARS:~$
>

> > when run from a terminal? Would you also post what is displayed in the
> > firefox print dialog?
>
> Print to file
> HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M277dw
> HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M277dw_BC46DE_
> HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M277dw_fax
> print

The first three entries are local print queues created by cups-browsed.
"print" is the same as "HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M277dw" and is discovered
by the GTK print dialog independently of cups-browsed and CUPS.

What follows is a bit of a stab in the dark.

Restart the cups-browsed service with

  systemctl restart cups-browsed

and *immediately* look at the outputs of 'lpstat -a'  and 'lpstat -e'.
Do you see your printer there in both outputs as you have recorded above
for 'lpstat -e'? If so, run the two commands again after a couple of
minutes. Does any output change?

--
Brian.