[cups] How to call a script when a job arrives

Brian Potkin claremont102 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 04:23:17 PDT 2019

On Fri 05 Apr 2019 at 12:43:46 +0200, Marc Haber wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 05, 2019 at 12:31:01PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 05, 2019 at 10:47:52AM +0100, Brian Potkin wrote:
> > > Interface scripts have been unsupported by CUPS since v2.2b1. I would
> > > use Tea4CUPs. There is a Debian wiki page.
> >
> > Tea4cups looks just like my cup of coffee ;-)
>
> It is, delicious.
>
> > How would that work: I have the printer autodiscovered, yielding a
> > dnssd:// device URI, and then change this URI to tea4cups:/dnssd://,
> > right? Since the "modify printer" web page won't give me the change to
> > hand-edit the device URI, I would manually have to edit the
> > printers.conf file?
>
> It's tea4cups://dnssd://, and it works like a charm. Case closed.
>
> tea4cups.conf excerpt:
> [c534-ka51]
> prehook_turnon: curl 'https://knx-server.local/proxy/visu/cgi-bin/w?a=1/7/11&v=81'

Is your "network printer" an actual IPP printer or a queue being
advertised by a CUPS server? Also: is the autodiscovery being done
by cups-browsed? There is an entry in printers.conf, so I guess it
is the managing utility.

The wiki was written in the days before autodiscovery of IPP printers.
It might need some readjustment to take account of this.

Regards,

Brian.