[cups] How to call a script when a job arrives

Marc Haber mh+cups at zugschlus.de
Fri Apr 5 05:14:57 PDT 2019

On Fri, Apr 05, 2019 at 12:23:17PM +0100, Brian Potkin wrote:
> On Fri 05 Apr 2019 at 12:43:46 +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> > >
> > > Tea4cups looks just like my cup of coffee ;-)
> >
> > It is, delicious.
> >
> > > How would that work: I have the printer autodiscovered, yielding a
> > > dnssd:// device URI, and then change this URI to tea4cups:/dnssd://,
> > > right? Since the "modify printer" web page won't give me the change to
> > > hand-edit the device URI, I would manually have to edit the
> > > printers.conf file?
> >
> > It's tea4cups://dnssd://, and it works like a charm. Case closed.
> >
> > tea4cups.conf excerpt:
> > [c534-ka51]
> > prehook_turnon: curl 'https://knx-server.local/proxy/visu/cgi-bin/w?a=1/7/11&v=81'
>
> Is your "network printer" an actual IPP printer or a queue being
> advertised by a CUPS server? Also: is the autodiscovery being done
> by cups-browsed? There is an entry in printers.conf, so I guess it
> is the managing utility.

It is parada, an actual IPP printer advertising itself on the network,
and the tea4cups.conf is on the machine that acts as a print server for
all in-house printers. parada advertises the scripts to the respective
clients. I think it was you helping me with the discovery processes and
eliminating cups-browsed on the box.

Greetings
Marc