[cups] Lexmark 2480, IBMPro Quirks

Farrell, Jarrod Spencer farrel34 at purdue.edu
Sat Dec 7 11:36:26 PST 2019

I have an old Lexmark 2480 I decided to pull from the closet, dust off,
and mess with. So far it works almost perfectly but there's a problem
with how print jobs are issued to it through Ubuntu's print dialog. The
top of the document would get mangled with text occasionally, the
document, then stop immediately after the print without feeding the form
and leaving the printer stuck on 'Receiving Data'.

Looking at the .PPD it just uses GhostScript with the ibmpro device so I
thought I'd try running the command myself

gs -q -dBATCH -dPARANOIDSAFER -dQUIET -dNOPAUSE -dNOMEDIAATTRS
-dNOINTERPOLATE -sDEVICE=ibmpro -dDEVICEWIDTHPOINTS=612
-dDEVICEHEIGHTPOINTS=792 -r120x72 -sOutputFile=/dev/usb/lp0 SomePDFHere.pdf

And the printer did respond perfectly by nothing becoming mangled and
feeding the form once it was done.

Included is a truncated error_log with debug on.