[cups] cups-2.3b5 on SuSE SLES 12 and SLES 15

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Mon Jan 28 01:54:52 PST 2019

Hello,

On Jan 28 09:44 Matthias Apitz wrote (excerpt):
> we compile cups-2.3b5 on SuSE Linux SLES 12
> to use it on SLES 12 and SLES15. It turned out,
> that SLES 15 does not have any group 'sys'

You did not tell how you compile it so I blindly guess:

In the CUPS sources:
$ ./configure --help | grep group
   --with-cups-group       set default group for CUPS
   --with-system-groups    set default system groups for CUPS

Accordingly in my cups.spec at
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/Printing/cups
%configure \
         --with-cups-user=lp \
         --with-cups-group=lp \
         --with-system-groups=root \

By the way:

CUPS 2.3b6 is available from the openSUSE Build Service
development project "Printing" for various openSUSE
and SUSE Linux Enterprise versions, cf.
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/Printing

I would appreciate it if you did not compile your own CUPS
somehow "secretly" on your own but if you could work together
with the openSUSE community and contribute in particular
to the openSUSE Build Service "Printing" project, see
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:How_to_contribute_to_the_Printing_project

In general when you use free software:
If you submit your adaptions and enhancements to the matching upstream
projects you could benefit even more from free software because this is
the only possible way that your adaptions and enhancements could be
available "out of the box" in future releases of the free software.
In contrast if you do your adaptions and enhancements on your own,
you are basically left on your own.
The latter might be necessary if you need special adaptions
that cannot be accepted by the matching upstream projects or
if you know your enhancements cannot be useful also for others.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)