[cups] Newbie seeks help / FreeBSD 12.0 / Brother MFC-7860DW

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Tue Jun 11 16:18:22 PDT 2019

In message <11062019203736.c62affb9c098 at desktop.copernicus.org.uk>,
Brian Potkin <claremont102 at gmail.com> wrote:

>What does the *cupsFilter line in the PPD say?

Ummmm... I'm quite sure that I have no understanding at all of the
significance or implications of the question, so all I can tell you
is that I did the following command and it produced -no- output:

fgrep cupsFilter /x/Brother-MFC-7860DW.ppd

>> So, would it not be beneficial to the CUPS user community to -just-
>> distribute a somewhat fuller set of Brother .ppd files, even while still
>> eschewing all of Brother's additional (proprietary) junk?
>
>Only if you were prepared to pickup all the fallout from users with
>non-working systems. That's the point of the additional information
>you ackowledged.

I don't quite understand the meaning of that last sentence.  But no matter.
I understand that your point is that there are potential support costs,
and that these may be at a level that the cups project and/or the gutenprint
project are not eager to undertake or accept.

I can only note that Canonical (ubuntu) _is_ apparently already supporting
some such .ppd files, so it might be feasible to piggyback on them/that
somehow...

... but I would be the last one to ever suggest to anyone that they take
on any new responsibilities that they are not entirely comfortable with.
It is not my place to do so, and doing so would be inappropriate.

Regards,
rfg