[cups] Cups default/private job options

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Mon Mar 11 11:46:32 PDT 2019

In regard to: Re: [cups] Cups default/private job options, Johannes Meixner...:

>> In the old days and with previous print spooling systems for UNIX and
>> Linux, we would use custom filters to strip out or override certain
>> settings within a job, before it was passed on to the printer.
>>
>> That kind of thing is certainly possible with CUPS.
>
> Not with custom filters - as far as I know.

I'm talking about modifying the converted (filtered) file as part of
the process, before it's sent to the printer, to remove or alter certain
things within the file itself.

For example, a filter that inserts

 	statusdict /setduplexmode known { statusdict begin true setduplexmode end } if

into the print job in a particular spot.

> It it the cupsd that calls the filters an the cupsd calls each
> filter program with all explicit option settings in argv[5]
> (see "man 7 filter") so that all filters get the same argv[5]
> and each filter parses the argv[5] value and each filter ignores
> all those option settings that are unknown to the particular filter.

Understood, but I'm not talking about what arguments are passed to
each filter.  I'm talking about using a filter to "fix" the contents of
a print job.  It's the same idea as you've documented:

> https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS

Tim
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)