[cups] Can't detect file type / Not a PDF file

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu May 2 07:18:13 PDT 2019

Hello,

On May 2 13:52 Henrik Morsing wrote (excerpt):
> If choosing the actual printer for a driver in Windows, despite
> the driver being called 'PS' at the end, I get this:
>
> # file d00285-001
> d00285-001: PJL encapsulated PostScript document text
>
> # head -6 d00285-001
> 2345X at PJL JOB
> @PJL SET FRONTCOVERPRINT=OFF
> @PJL SET FRONTCOVERPRINTTRAY=TRAY1
> @PJL SET ECONOMODE=OFF
> @PJL ENTER LANGUAGE=POSTSCRIPT
> %!PS-Adobe-3.0

this is PostScript with a PJL header which is normal
for printer device specific PostScript for a
PostScript+PJL printer where certain printer device
specific options are set via PJL commands.

When you run the matching printer driver in Windows, you must
submit its printer device specific data to a "raw" queue, see
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printing_from_Windows_to_Linux

Alternatively, if you have time for it, you may play around
with special enhancements of your particular CUPS mime type
autodetection rules plus special enhancements of your print job
data filtering system so that your particular kind of printer
device specific data is autodetected and directly sent to your
printer device without unwanted additional filtering in between,
cf.
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS

I think as long as "raw" queues work it is easier to use a "raw" queue.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE LINUX GmbH - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)
GF: Felix Imendoerffer, Mary Higgins, Sri Rasiah