[cups] cupsd(8) and all jobs ended up as from user 'anonymous'

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Mon May 13 02:54:57 PDT 2019

Hello,

On May 12 21:16 Matthias Apitz wrote (excerpt):
> I compiled run 2.3b5 on SuSE Linux SLES12 and encountered the
> problem that the user id of the session running lpr(1) was not seen
> correctly by the cupsd(8) and all jobs ended up as from user 'anonymous'.

Does the affected username contain non-ASCII characters
or more exactly characters that are not allowed according
to "man useradd" that reads on my openSUSE Leap 15.0 system:
Usernames must start with a lower case letter or an underscore,
followed by lower case letters, digits, underscores, or dashes.
They can end with a dollar sign. In regular expression terms:
[a-z_][a-z0-9_-]*[$]?

In this case I guess it is related to
https://github.com/apple/cups/issues/5143
and its fix and the resulting subsequent issues
https://github.com/apple/cups/issues/5186
and
https://github.com/apple/cups/issues/5229
and so on...

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE LINUX GmbH - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)
GF: Felix Imendoerffer, Mary Higgins, Sri Rasiah