[cups] intermittent cups

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sat Nov 2 09:41:03 PDT 2019

On Thursday 31 October 2019 18:28:41 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Thursday 31 October 2019 16:50:00 Rich Shepard wrote:
> > On Thu, 31 Oct 2019, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > Now Thursday, and no replies to my Monday query, except the
> > > printers have now disappeared from the print requesters of another
> > > machine, which co-incidentally was updated this morning. cups has
> > > been restarted several times, no errors logged. Somethings sure
> > > aglay.
> >
> > Gene,
> >
> > This may have no bearing on your situation but I offer it for you to
> > consider. After my former server died and I was finishing preparing
> > this new server/workstaion I discovered that I could not print
> > anything. To make a long story short, it tuned out that the switch
> > on the LAN had also died.
> >
> > I replaced the old LinkSys 4-port switch with a Netgear 16-port
> > switch I have here and that solved the problem.
>
> I have 2, 8 port switches, a newer managed one here and an umanaged
> one in the garage.
>
> One of the machines on the garage switch has all the profiles showing
> in its print requester, but logs no permissions in the error_log here
> when I try to print something.  Another machine plugged into an
> adjacent socket shows nothing but cups-pdf in that same menu. I could
> move cables to see if that has an effect, tomorrow maybe.
>
> > The lesson I learned from this is that not all printing issues are
> > CUPS related. Check all the hardware in the circuit, too.
> >
> > Good luck,
> >
> > Rich
>
> Thanks Rich.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

Continueing onward, an attempt to print just now, from geany on an rpi4
running raspbian armhf 10.1, logs on this, the server machine:

192.168.71.13 - -
[02/Nov/2019:11:30:27 -0400] "POST /printers/MFC-J6920DW HTTP/1.1" 200
86493 Print-Job client-error-not-authorized.

cups 2.2.10 on the rpi4. How do I fix this error?

Going to another intel based machine and repeating a request to print
originating in the same editor: has only cups-pdf showing in the print
requester, HOWEVER firefox, ran on that machine, sent to
localhost:631/printers can see them all, 2 physical printers, 5 shared
profiles.cups-1.5.3

Going to a 3rd machine, also intel based, an attempt to print what is
essentially the same text file from geany, no printer shown, but run
firefox to localhost:631/printers and they are all there according to
firefox. cups-1.5.3

Going to another machine, also an intel box, is step and repeat, no
printers available, yet firefox at localhost:631/printers see's them
all. cups 1.5.3

This all Just Worked a month ago and except for the rpi4, nothing has
been updated except linuxcnc and its en docs. Not being able to print
when the profiles are all shared is stopping all progress here.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis