[cups] intermittent cups

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Wed Nov 13 08:38:31 PST 2019

On Saturday 09 November 2019 10:40:50 Steve Root wrote:

> > Unforch, marking as shared is being ignored,
>
> I thought that too, until I realised sharing has to be enabled at both
> admin page + for each individual printer being shared.
> Sharing just at printer settings alone won't work, sharing just at
> admin page alone won't work.

So I see. But that requires a server restart, but it won't so I
goto /etc/init.d and do ./cups restart
 which probably isn't correct.  Takes at least 15 seconds to return, but
now it has been restarted, and the printer is now shared!

Thank you. Now I'll try adding the other printer, also a brother but an
ink squirter monster that can do 11x17 pages if you speak to it in
hushed, very reverent tones and feed it one page at a time from the rear
slot. Pain in the ass, but sure beats 4x the cutting and taping of
rockhopper output on 8.5x11 letter paper.

Well, gotta quit for the time being the missus wants something to eat,
and thats my #1 job.

2 things, it won't let me reuse a driver for the next printers profile
for the same printer once its been used, so I've had to wade thru
through the file system, find it and select it manually.

2nd, none of the color intensity things has ever had any effect. Now they
seem to work, and printing a test page on photo paper from tray one
looks 20,000% percent better than ever before.  Before the color was
always very pale & non-adjustable. Thank you for whatever was fixed.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis