[cups] ippeveprinter - how to set up with real printer?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Oct 11 02:20:33 PDT 2019

Hello,

I have a generic question regarding Printer Applications
in particular regarding ippeveprinter.

I am currently somewhat "disconnected" because I was not
in the office for a bit longer than the last two month
so my question could be ignorant, if so please bear with me.

On Oct 8 23:09 Till Kamppeter wrote (excerpt):

> ippeveprinter is a so-called Printer Application, a daemon which
> emulates an IPP printer on localhost.
> IPP is only spoken by clients to communicate with the IPP printer
> emulated by ippeveprinter.
> A client (print dialog, cups-browsed, or CUPS)

I wonder about security when "yet another daemon" is accessible.

Is it somewhere documented how access to a Printer Application
(in particular access to ippeveprinter) is restricted?

Can such an emulated IPP printer be optionally also accessed
directly from remote clients via network so that such an
emulated IPP printer behaves like a real IPP printer?

If yes, how can remote access to such an emulated IPP printer
be rescricted?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE LINUX GmbH - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)
GF: Felix Imendoerffer, Mary Higgins, Sri Rasiah