[cups] New desktop cannot connect to printer

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Oct 23 10:07:26 PDT 2019

Last week my old server/workstation running Slackware-14.2/x86 failed. The
replacement (running Slackware-14.2/x86_64) was about 95% ready. Yesterday I
tried printing vendor checks and found that the LaserJet5 was not
responding.

Trying to ping that LAN printer (192.168.55.192) failed: "the network is
unreachable." The network does work except for that printer.

CUPS is set up the same way on the new desktop as it was on the former
desktop. The Ethernet connections run the same way: desktop -> router ->
bridge -> printers.

I deleted and re-added the LJ5 without fixing the problem. That printer is
configured this way:

Location:       Office
Driver: HP LaserJet 5 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.11 (grayscale, 2-sided printing)
Connection:     socket://192.168.55.192:9100
Defaults:       job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in sides=two-sided-long-edge

hplip is installed and, I assume, doing its thing.

Just now I tried using the cups-pdf printer but that, too, failed the same
way: printer not responding.

I've been running only linux since 1997 and haven't had a printing issue
that was not fixed by deleting and re-adding the printer. I'm completely
stumped and need to fix this issue ASAP for both paying vendors and other
printed requirements.

All help appreciated,

Rich