[cups] New desktop cannot connect to printer

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Oct 24 06:06:03 PDT 2019

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019, Rolf-Werner Eilert wrote:

> Maybe this is a network configuration issue rather than one with cups?

Rolf,

Looks reasonable.

> When the network is 55.x and up and running, I would look if the printer's
> IP has changed.

The network is always on since I run my own MTA here. But the printer is on
only when needed. In /etc/hosts I use static IP addresses because that's
what I learned when I defenestrated to linux in 1997 and it's worked for me
since then.

> Did LJ5 already have a network connection, or do you use an IP dongle?

The laser jet printer is connected via a cat5 cable and has postscript
capabilities.

I bought the LJ5 in 1997 and it's worked with the 32-bit desktops I used
until the last one died last Friday night and I almost have this 64-bit host
ready to go. Printing and dirvish backup still need resolution.

Thanks very much,

Rich