[cups] Issue adding a Raw printer

Subodh Vaidya vaidya_subodh at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 9 12:46:41 PDT 2019

I am using Cups version 2.2.8 in which the Parallel backend is no longer available.
I have a device that has a parallel port printer. I am trying to set it up in a raw mode so that I can send a formatted file to the printer
The following are the steps I followed:

1. Kill the cupsd daemon
2. Edit /etc/cups/cups-files.conf
3. Set FILEDEVICE Yes
4. Save changes & Reboot the system
5. lpadmin -p Parallel1 -D "Internal Printer" -m raw -v file:/dev/lp1
6. cupsaccept Parallel1
7. cupsenable Parallel1
8. lp -d Parallel1 -o raw file_name
    request id is Parallel1-1 (1 file(s))

9. lp -d Parallel1 -o raw file_name
    request id is Parallel1-2 (1 file(s))

The response to the 'lp' command indicates that the request has been queues, but nothing is actually printed.
If I do a  'cat file_name > /dev/lp1' the file is printed correctly.

Any help is resolving this issue is greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance
SV