[cups] Newbie seeks help / FreeBSD 12.0 / Brother MFC-7860DW

Johan Bengtsson elijah at chalmers.se
Wed Sep 11 01:15:55 PDT 2019

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> of the capabilities & features of each ipp-capable printer now fetchable
> from the printer itself via TCP/HTTP ?  Is that the basic idea?  If so,
> it sounds swell to me!  Now, if I could only get my printer and CUPS 2.x
> to play ipp together, I think I could die a happy man.
>
> Alas, I just now tried to do that exact thing on on my freshly installed
> Ubuntu 18.04 system and my attempt crashed and burned for no apparently
> good reason. I went through the web interface (localhost:631) added a
> fresh new ipp printer (i.e. my Brother MFC-7860DW) which I verifed, both
> by looking at the detailed official spec and by using telnet *is* in fact
> responding to TCP connects to port 631 (ipp).  The new printer that I
> created vai CUPS was specified via this URI:
>
>    ipp:/192.168.1.57/ipp/print
>
> (Note:  I have my printer set to the static IP 192.168.1.57.)
>
> Is that a proper sort of ipp URI or not?  I hope so, but since I've never
> seen one before today I can't be at all sure.
>
> Anyway, when I was adding this new (logical) ipp printer in CUPS, I do seem
> to recall that the CUPS Add Printer web interface -still- asked me for a
> .ppd file anyway... and I did supply the known-working one that I now have.
> (Wasn't the idea that ipp-capable printers make .ppd files unnecessary?)

Maybe the ipp-support on your printer is broken. I had that problem with one
or two printers. Try upgrading the printers firmware if it's not the latest
version. The try adding the printer like this:

lpadmin -p your-print-queue-name -v ipp://192.168.1.57:631/ipp/print -E -m everywhere

Sometimes the URI needs to be like this for some reason:

lpadmin -p your-print-queue-name -v ipp://192.168.1.57:631/ipp -E -m everywhere

(I try do avoid using the web interface. The various lp* commands can also
be tricky, like don't get "-E" in the wrong place in the command above...)

-Johan Bengtsson