[cups] Configuring cups to automatically detect any HP OfficeJet Printer

Joe Van Dyk joevandyk at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 18:36:48 PDT 2020

I have a raspberry pi that I'm hoping to use as a print server.

I have some custom software that polls an API for print jobs. The jobs (png
and pdf files) will be downloaded and sent to the HP OfficeJet printer
that's connected to the raspberry pi via usb.

What's the best way to configure cups to automatically detect/setup a
printer as its plugged in? I can assume that any printer connected is a HP
one - but the specific model might be different.

Thanks,
Joe