[cups] Deleted printers still showing

Todd And Margo Chester toddandmargo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 12:50:35 PST 2020

Hi All,

Fedora 33

# rpm -qa cups\*
cups-pk-helper-0.2.6-10.fc33.x86_64
cups-pdf-3.0.1-10.fc33.x86_64
cups-libs-2.3.3-18.fc33.x86_64
cups-client-2.3.3-18.fc33.x86_64
cups-ipptool-2.3.3-18.fc33.x86_64
cups-filesystem-2.3.3-18.fc33.noarch
cups-2.3.3-18.fc33.x86_64
cups-libs-2.3.3-18.fc33.i686
cups-filters-libs-1.28.5-3.fc33.x86_64
cups-filters-1.28.5-3.fc33.x86_64

I clean up a bunch of my unused printers.

Problem: printers with the same long name, except for
the end still show is certain programs.

     $ lpstat -a
     B4350 accepting requests since Thu 29 Oct 2020 01:36:30 PM PDT
     Cups-PDF accepting requests since Tue 30 Apr 2019 04:05:39 PM PDT
     Virtual_PDF_Printer accepting requests since Tue 29 Sep 2020
03:13:17 AM PDT

Which is the way it is suppose to be.  And match http://127.0.0.1:621
and Printer Admin

But programs using reading printers using cupsGetDests2,
still get the old deleted printers:

The C text: https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/attachment.cgi?id=167701

The Binary: https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/attachment.cgi?id=167702

    #include <iostream>
    #include <cups/cups.h>

    int main() {
        cups_dest_t* dests;
        int nCount = cupsGetDests2(CUPS_HTTP_DEFAULT, &dests);

        for (int i = 0; i < nCount; i++) {
            cups_dest_t dest = dests[i];
            std::cout << dest.name << std::endl;
        }
    }

$ list-printers
B4350
Cups-PDF
Cups_PDF_rn6               <-- deleted
Oki_B4350_on_dev_lp0_rn6   <-- deleted
Virtual_PDF_Printer
Virtual_PDF_Printer_rn6    <-- deleted

Programs without the problem (a sampling):

     Brave Browser, Firefox, Vivaldi, Water Fox,
     Leafpad, Simple scan, Gimp, Inkscape, Thunderbird,
     Geany, Shotwell, PDF Studio 2019

Programs with the problem (also a sampling):

     Wine, Libre Office, Free Office, Master PDF Editor

Any ideas? Is cupsGetDests2 not the proper way of dong this?

-T