[cups] printing via usbToParallel port via cups

Paolo Liberati paolo.liberati at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 00:37:01 PST 2020

Hi,
i am new to the list and i am sorry if i am saying something wrong. My problem is this:
My windows 2012 r2 server is printing via a print server d-link DP-300+ which is connected to a very old printer (Printronix) http://printronix.com/emea/product/line-matrix-en/p8000-cabinet/ . We are using this printer to print invoice and we cannot change the printer.
During the last month when i am sending, let’s say, big file to the print server (DP-300+) sometimes something happen and the printer start to print the file from the beginning which is very annoying.
I was thinking to solve the problem with a linux printer server (CUPS) made by a raspberry pi 4 (buster) + a usbToParallel adapter connected to the raspberry pi.
My question are:
1) Do you recommend a specific brand for the usbToParallel adapter? Which is the best adapter to buy (i mean the easiest and stable adapter)?
2) Do you recommend a specific setting of CUPS to print big file.
The topology of the network is that the client is connected via a terminal server session. The printer is installed on the windows server 2012 r2 which hosts the terminal server session but the printer is not in the same broadcast domain (it is in a remote site). Everysite are connect via fiber optic connection and we didn’t discovery network problem during the last months. So i am thinking that the problem is the D-LINK printer and that’s i want to replace it.
thanks in advance for you suggestions.
regards

—
paolo