[cups] CUPS basic accounting

sawbona at xsmail.com sawbona at xsmail.com
Fri Mar 20 10:05:46 PDT 2020

Hello:

I'm looking for a way to be able to know (without too much fuss) how
many pages my Samsung M2020W has printed at any point in time.

Although not really at any point, usually when I see that the print
density/quality is falling.

The original OEM cartdrige lasted for few pages (I know that is the
usual thing) so I have had it refilled and would like to keep a tab
on how well the refill actually works. ie: lives up to what the
refill service says.

There's the log at http://localhost:631/admin/log/page_log which is
read from /var/log/cups/page_log but I don't see how to weed out the
data without some time consuming editing and manual accounting.

I have tried using awk on the /var/log/cups/page_log file but have
not been able to get reliable results as the parsed numbers can have
between 1 and 4 digits within the same page_log file.

What I need is simple enough:  (?)

There's only one printer and I'm the only one local user.

I only want to know how many pages were printed between the date I
put in the new/reloaded cartdrige and the date printing started to
degarde.

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

G.