[cups] IPP printing on brother MFC-L2710DN spits out blank pages

Fina Wilke fina at felinira.net
Fri Mar 27 10:09:01 PDT 2020

On Thu, 2020-03-26 at 09:00 +0000, Brian Potkin wrote:
> Which OS and version? Which version of cups-browsed?

Arch Linux (most recent, kernel 5.5.10) cups-browsed 1.27.3.

> Set up this print queue:
>
> lpadmin -p L2710 -v ipp://Brother%20MFC-L2710DN._ipp._tcp.local -E -m
> everywhere

This works.

It brought me to the root of the problem too: This seems to actually be
an issue with automatically adding the printer via avahi and probably
some sort of bug with my desktop environment (gnome 3.36) rather than
with cups.

If I use cups-browsed the printer that is automatically added seems to
work too.

I initially thought that gnome/gtk would just use cups-browsed but this
is actually not the case. I don't even know if they use cups at all for
those autodiscovered printers. I will file a bug with gnome/gtk. I
don't understand why they can't just use cups-browsed but try to be
clever here and reimplement its functionality in a seemingly broken
way. My bad, sorry.

> Can you print to L2710?
>
> Also, please give the output of (as root)
>
> cupsfilter -p /etc/cups/ppd/THE_BROTHER_PPD -m printer/foo -e
> --list-filters /etc/nsswitch.conf

$ sudo cupsfilter -p /etc/cups/ppd/L2710.ppd -m printer/foo -e --list-
filters /etc/nsswitch.conf
texttopdf
pdftopdf
gstoraster
rastertopwg

Generating a ppd with
$ driverless ipp://Brother%20MFC-L2710DN._ipp._tcp.local/ > brother.ppd

yields the same result with cupsfilter.

Interesting: Running cupsfilter with a non-existing ppd file path
yields a segmentation fault. This is probably completely unrelated but
it seems to be a bug with cupsfilter.

> Regards,
>
> Brian.

Thank you all for helping me find the root of this problem: Not cups.

Cheers
Fina