[cups] Local host:[a number]

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Nov 10 12:50:56 PST 2020

On Tuesday 10 November 2020 14:20:50 Helen Rosenberg wrote:

> Hi, I am on Linux Mint.   the printing stops and my IT department
> (a.k.a. my son), says that I need to go to a certain local host and
> click on resume printing but then it asks me for my password which I
> cannot remember. I went to the help link and typed in “forgot
> password“ but could not find out how to reset my password.  Any ideas?
>  I’m trying not to constantly having to be asking my “IT” department--
> **** A MASK and 6 FEET ****
>    THAT'S REAL XOXOXOXO
> Helen
> Helen.L.Rosenberg at gmail.com

I feel for you, but I'm probably 35 years your senior.

When you do get your pw back, the first thing you should do is change it,
to something 28 to 30 characters long but easy to remember once you have
the key as to how you did it. Just to add to the character count use
your middle name too but scramble the order of the words, and maybe the
order of the characters in the word and mix your birthday with the
numbers out of order where the periods would be. Stare at it for 15
minutes and I am sure an easily remembered phase will pop out of it.

Solving passwords is made difficult because the total number of
characters is the factorial of how many guesses an attacker will have to
do. Said another way, a 30 character password, tried by random guesses,
will take the rest of the computers on this planet several centuries to
several eons to guess right.

You should thank yourself for feeding that boy a nutritious diet that
grew his brain better than you ever thought possible.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis