[cups] Local host:[a number]

Steve Root steve at rkbb.co.uk
Tue Nov 10 15:59:41 PST 2020

I'm guessing, "certain local host" means open a web browser and go to:
https://localhost:631
or
https:127.0.0.1:631
and this is where you're seeing the dialog asking for a username and
password.

If you use a password to log into your computer, try that one.
If you don't know your username you might see it when you log in (it's
probably remember between uses)
If your username isn't there, if you can open a terminal window (The
application "Terminal" , which may just show you a black screen and
flashing cursor)
try typing "ls -l" . You'll see a list of file names and the username that
owns the files, which is probably you. When I do this I see lines like;
-rw-r--r-- 1 steve steve        912 Sep 26 15:40 some-file-name-here.txt
and my username on this computer is  'steve'

I hope that helps and good luck.