[cups] Authentication Problem

Bryan Mason bmason at redhat.com
Thu Nov 19 16:27:07 PST 2020

On Thu, 2020-11-19 at 09:52 -0500, Dennis Putnam wrote:
> I have set up an SMB printer (CentOS 7) but am having trouble with
> authentication. When I submit a job, the queue shows it is being held
> for authentication. There seems to be no way to authenticate but in
> any case I want users to be able to print with no authentication. I
> cannot figure out how to configure cupsd.conf to remove the
> authentication requirement.

It's not in cupsd.conf because it's a printer setting.  Try:

    lpadmin -p <queue-name> -o auth-info-required=none

This should change the printer setting to not require authentication.
 But you will also need to configure the Windows server to not require
authentication to access the printer share.  If Windows requires
authentication, then CUPS will still hold the job for authentication
and will change auth-info-required back to username,password.

~ Bryan