[cups] Authentication Problem

Dennis Putnam dap1 at bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 20 06:02:03 PST 2020

On 11/19/2020 7:27 PM, Bryan Mason wrote:
> On Thu, 2020-11-19 at 09:52 -0500, Dennis Putnam wrote:
>> I have set up an SMB printer (CentOS 7) but am having trouble with
>> authentication. When I submit a job, the queue shows it is being held
>> for authentication. There seems to be no way to authenticate but in
>> any case I want users to be able to print with no authentication. I
>> cannot figure out how to configure cupsd.conf to remove the
>> authentication requirement.
> It's not in cupsd.conf because it's a printer setting.  Try:
>
>      lpadmin -p <queue-name> -o auth-info-required=none
>
> This should change the printer setting to not require authentication.
>   But you will also need to configure the Windows server to not require
> authentication to access the printer share.  If Windows requires
> authentication, then CUPS will still hold the job for authentication
> and will change auth-info-required back to username,password.
>
> ~ Bryan

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the reply. I never would have figured that out. However, I
have something strange going on. The printer name is "Epson". When I do
an 'lpstat' I get 2 printers listed (Epson-12, Epson-13) but neither is
"Epson". When I look at 'system-config-printers' I see just the printer
"Epson". If I issue the command

sudo lpadmin -p Epson -o auth-info-required=none

I get no error (which I expected since it does not seem to exist) but
neither does anything change.

I am guessing that my problem is related to the printer not showing up
in 'lpstat' but I have no clue where the 12 and 13 are coming from or
what could be wrong. Did I perhaps mess up my cups.conf with the changes
I made?