[cups] broken pipe but job successfull

Lorenzo Milesi (maxxer) lorenzo.milesi at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 06:01:35 PDT 2020

> Digging one more into your error_log attachment, I realised that the pdftops filter
> used the (popper based) pdftops utility.
>
> I tried to emulate your filter chain by calling the pdftopdf and pdftops filter separately
> and could not find any quirks in the resulting PostScript file that could have caused a failure.
>
> You could try the command line option
> pdftops-renderer=xxxx
> where xxxx is one of
> gs				(Ghostscript)
> pdftops			(popper’s pdftops utility, which is default for KONICA-MINOLTA printers)
> pdftocairo		(poplar with cairo)
> acroread			(probably no longer installed)
> mupdf			(probably not installed)
>
> Perhaps one of these settings might cause the print job to succeed.

I'll try, thanks.
As of now the Connection reset error hasn't happened since several days.

In the meantime this morning I tried creating another printer in Cups using ipp backend instead of socket, also assigning a ppd taken from Kyocera website which seems more specific to this model than the one I was using before.

> Anyway, what the error_log tells me looks like a crash (and automatic restart) of the
> printer’s PostScript interpreter.

If this is the problem and it's detected by Cups, why isn't the job retried?

thanks again