[cups] Two issues: user authentication on MacOS, and printing multiple copies on MacOS and iPadOS

Jeff Dyck fsjjeff at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 10:53:21 PDT 2021

Seems I can mostly resolve second issue of not being able to print multiple copies.  I have to manually edit all the PPD files on the server and add the following line, then restart CUPS.

*cupsManualCopies=True

Optionally it seems I can use the following command to install the printer from scratch with this option enabled:

lpadmin -p PRINTER -D “DESCRIPTION" -L “LOCATION" -v ipp://IP_ADDRESS/ipp/ -E -m everywhere -o printer-is-shared=true -o cupsManualCopies=true

It’s not really an ideal way as I have to manually intervene for every printer.   I wonder why a default CUPS setup to an IPP based printer won’t let me print more than a single copy without needing to be manually set.  It also seems like the printers themselves should be able to handle multiple copies without CUPS having to do it manually.  This seems like a bug to me.

Jeff