[cups] problem printing to a Brother MFC-J6920DW printer

Andy Howell andy at gamubaru.com
Sat Dec 10 08:35:55 PST 2022

On 12/10/22 02:44, gene heskett wrote:
> On 12/10/22 00:21, Andy Howell wrote:
>> I'm hoping someone can help me. I've been using CUPS for years
>> without issue.  I installed Ubuntu 22.10 on a laptop and can not get
>> the printer to work. When I do a test print from the CUPS web
>> interface, it says the job completed. On an older 22.04 system on the
>> same network, it prints fine.
>>
>> Looking at it with wireshark, the only activity is SNMP requests and
>>
>> The only think I can find in the error_log is:
>>
>> D [09/Dec/2022:23:09:32 -0600] [Job 37]
>> /usr/lib/cups/filter/brother_lpdwrapper_mfcj6920dw: 129:
>> /opt/brother/Printers/mfcj6920dw/cupswrapper/brcupsconfpt1: not found
>> D [09/Dec/2022:23:09:32 -0600] [Job 37]
>> /opt/brother/Printers/mfcj6920dw/lpd/filtermfcj6920dw: 68:
>> /opt/brother/Printers/mfcj6920dw/lpd/brmfcj6920dwfilter: not found
>>
>> Both those files exist. The first is a shell script, and the second a
>> binary. The were installed from the same .deb files on both machines.
>>
>> After hitting my head against the wall for a couple days, I'm at a loss.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Andy
>>
> Brothers web site has an installer that pulls the latest and greatest
> from their own repository and installs it. And it Just Works to the
> best of that printer/scanners ability. It (the MFC-J6920dw) is an
> unusual printer/scanner, and cups just does not do it. These drivers
> however integrate seemlessly into the cups environment, with only one
> gotcha, you must totally remove cups-browsed, otherwise the broken
> cups driver insists on being the default
>
> This is a universal installer for all of brothers printers and
> scanners, so you must tell it EXACTLY what model # it is when it
> asks.  Run it twice if you have another brother printer, I have their
> $120 b&w laser that does duplex, and it also Just Works with brothers
> drivers for it too.
>
> ddg or google for brother installer should get you to their site.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett.

Gene,

Thanks so much. I had tried the script before and it failed to find my
printer. This time it worked fine. A typo last time? I don't know. I
just had to modify the URI, as it sets it up as a USB printer default.
Maybe browesd was causing issues. I removed that. I have no need for it
anyway. This ends a headache that should have never existed :)

Are you Gene of LinuxCNC fame?

Thanks for your help.

Andy