[cups] problem printing to a Brother MFC-J6920DW printer

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sat Dec 10 09:58:44 PST 2022

On 12/10/22 11:35, Andy Howell wrote:

> On 12/10/22 02:44, gene heskett wrote:
>> On 12/10/22 00:21, Andy Howell wrote:
>>> I'm hoping someone can help me. I've been using CUPS for years
>>> without issue.  I installed Ubuntu 22.10 on a laptop and can not get
>>> the printer to work. When I do a test print from the CUPS web
>>> interface, it says the job completed. On an older 22.04 system on the
>>> same network, it prints fine.
>>>
>>> Looking at it with wireshark, the only activity is SNMP requests and
>>>
>>> The only think I can find in the error_log is:
>>>
>>> D [09/Dec/2022:23:09:32 -0600] [Job 37]
>>> /usr/lib/cups/filter/brother_lpdwrapper_mfcj6920dw: 129:
>>> /opt/brother/Printers/mfcj6920dw/cupswrapper/brcupsconfpt1: not found
>>> D [09/Dec/2022:23:09:32 -0600] [Job 37]
>>> /opt/brother/Printers/mfcj6920dw/lpd/filtermfcj6920dw: 68:
>>> /opt/brother/Printers/mfcj6920dw/lpd/brmfcj6920dwfilter: not found
>>>
>>> Both those files exist. The first is a shell script, and the second a
>>> binary. The were installed from the same .deb files on both machines.
>>>
>>> After hitting my head against the wall for a couple days, I'm at a loss.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Andy
>>>
>> Brothers web site has an installer that pulls the latest and greatest
>> from their own repository and installs it. And it Just Works to the
>> best of that printer/scanners ability. It (the MFC-J6920dw) is an
>> unusual printer/scanner, and cups just does not do it. These drivers
>> however integrate seemlessly into the cups environment, with only one
>> gotcha, you must totally remove cups-browsed, otherwise the broken
>> cups driver insists on being the default
>>
>> This is a universal installer for all of brothers printers and
>> scanners, so you must tell it EXACTLY what model # it is when it
>> asks.  Run it twice if you have another brother printer, I have their
>> $120 b&w laser that does duplex, and it also Just Works with brothers
>> drivers for it too.
>>
>> ddg or google for brother installer should get you to their site.
>>
>> Cheers, Gene Heskett.
>
> Gene,
>
> Thanks so much. I had tried the script before and it failed to find my
> printer. This time it worked fine. A typo last time? I don't know. I
> just had to modify the URI, as it sets it up as a USB printer default.
> Maybe browesd was causing issues. I removed that. I have no need for it
> anyway. This ends a headache that should have never existed :)
>
> Are you Gene of LinuxCNC fame?

I don't know about the fame, although I have been asked to take off my
shoes and socks so they can see the webbed feet I walk on water with,
but yes, that is me. That story stems from a couple parameds checking me
out because one of the bennies I had asked for in my new job, was a $50k
life policy and NYL sent them around to see if I was breathing regular.
The parameds got about done with a motel room physical, and one asked me
to take off my shoes and socks, me being the inquisitive I am, asked
what the hell did my flat feet had to do with it? The reply? "Nothing,
but we heard you could walk on water and wanted to see if your feet were
webbed."  Busted a gut on that one. ;o)>

I guess the folks at the tv station were impressed by someone who walked
in the door cold, the transmitter was off the air and 20 minutes later
was back on the air at full power. Most of them had no clue why the
lights came on when they flipped the switch. They are so far behind a
CET you can't explain it to them. They don't have any understanding of
how the world they were born into actually works. Its all magic to them.

Take care and stay well Andy.