[cups] Fwd: Re: Problem with lpadmin

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 05:24:35 PST 2022

On 23/02/2022 13:50, Brian Potkin wrote:

> I have developed the habit of always putting the URI in double quotes.
> Are single quotes better?

I usually use single quotes, this works also if a '$' is in the string
(but AFAIK does not appear in URIs).

> There is some cogent detail at
>
> https://github.com/apple/cups/issues/6022

I have added a comment now there.

> The everywhere model is unsuitable for using with this device. cups-filters
> should handle application/PCLm. Maybe the driverless model will suit:
>
> lpadmin -p m15a -v "URI" -E -m driverless:"URI"

Yes, that is the way to go. cups-filters has the rastertopclm filter and
this is taken into account by the PPD generator of cups-filters and by
the "driverless" utility.

For everyone starting to read here, the URI of the printer one gets by
calling

driverless

without arguments. The filtering which driverless uses to tell
non-driverless (legacy) IPP printers from driverless IPP printers takes
PCLm-only models into account (it simply looks for IPP printers with IPP
2.x and at least one of the 4 PDLs PDF, Apple Raster, PWG Raster, and PCLm.

    Till