[cups] Printer pauses a few seconds between each page

Helge Blischke helgeblischke at web.de
Tue Sep 13 11:49:34 PDT 2022

The printer’s PPD (the original from EPSON) contains a lot of statements regarding page size (or page region),
duplex printing (especially specifying front and back side) which refer to several „CustomProcs“, i. e.
PostScript procedures which obviously implement more sophisticated behaviour of the printer.

I assume that these procedures are situated on the printer’s hard disk (the PPD tells the printer has one).
As LibreOffice uses PDF as the printer data format (at least as of releases >= 4.x, I think), the PDF needs to
converted to PostScript for printing on this printer, and, as the features of the pages may change from page to page,
the respective PostScript statements need to be given at the beginning of any page.

I suspect that the printer’s hard disk is switched on at the beginning of each page for just requesting and executing
these procedures and switched off after these have finished, the short delay at the beginning of each page might be
due to the spinning up time of the disk.

Helge